Monday 11 August 2008

What I Do

Seeing how I live in DC, there is always one go-to question that everyone in this city likes to throw out upon making a new aquaintence. "So, what do you do?" or its closely related cousin, "Where do you work?"

On the surface that question really irratates me. As I mentioned, and fans of 'So...Yeah' already know, I live in DC. To those of you who don't know the city, for the most part it can be one of the most shallow cities to live. What people do and who they work for has somehow become the unit of measure by which everyone judges everyone else.

I have to admit it, I use the question as a measure as well. Guilty, Hi pot you sure are black. The difference between me and the average asshole that asks me the question? First, I never ask what people do. The fuck I care if you are a staffer to Senator Ted Stevens (R-AK)? (side note - if I actually met a Stevens staffer I would without a doubt rip into them and ask if they ever use the Series of Tubes.)
Second, if someone asks me the question, right off the bat, they are a douche. To me it signals the fact that these people don't live for the anything beyond what they do beyond 9 to 5. Am I being a tad bit judgemental? Yes, hello Kettle!

Anyway, What I do for work is not nearly as interesting as what I do when I am at work. Here is a loose timeline of my 'work' day:

9:15-9:30 - I stroll in a little after start time. I use the side door so Lumbergh doesn't see me.
9:30-10:30 - check work email, check personal email. Visit Craigslist for a little RnR. Again this being DC and all, you would think that there would be a few intelligent people posting on the board. It just isn't so.
10:30 Already? Time for a smoke break.
10:35-12 or 12:30 - Surf the web and look for news on my beloved West Virginia Football team. Also there are several return trips to the CL for the RnR in search of intelligent and or humorous post.
12:30 - Lunch for an hour or so.
1:30-3:00 - Internet, Internet, Internet.
3:00-3:05 - I like cigarettes.
3:05-5ish - Internet, Internet, Internet.

When I say Internet, Internet, Internet, I really mean to say the Internets. According to President Bush the Internets are the place to find info and while plurality could simply imply two or more, I figure saying it three times gives it the extra umph for emphasis.

So what are some of my favorite things on the internets? Good question. Listed below are some of the places I like to visit on any given day.

Failblog - for when I want to feel better about my shortcomings.
IDLYITW - I can admit it, I enjoy a little celebrity gossip. I just wish they were nicer to Rachelle, she never hurt anyone.
Urbandictionary.com - Got to keep up with those young whipper snappers and stay fresh on their lingo.
The Washington Post - Stay informed.
Craigslist - I like to keep it local. Despite my best efforts I never successfully have a missed connection. Maybe it is because I don't look strangers in the eye.
Maddox - Do yourself a favor and dig through the archives, pure gold.

Oh and So...Yeah of course, but for some reason there are hardly any updates or they come months apart.

Please don't think these are the only sights I visit. It can get much uglier, much much uglier. Please only click that link if you are brave, very brave. Consider it a warning. For the love of God don't click the link.

Anythng else? Oh how about this one?

So no, I don't do much 'work' at my job.

Surfing the nets,
42

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your opinion is ... well ... bracing. Our site has taken a somewhat more sympathetic view of Senator Ted Stevens, regarding his troubles as more symptomatic of the party as a whole. Thanks for adding your voice.