Thursday 6 March 2008

Perspective and Shit

Word around the way is that some of the fans of 'So...Yeah' have been clamouring for an update. To this I say, here it is.

The last entry to the blog came at a time when I was all about positive vibes. The vibe is still there but the since the post my life got hijacked so to speak. In essence, some folks around me had their lives touched by darkness. All I could do was to put my life on hold for a bit so I could extend my hand to some close friends that needed more than help, they needed the total package.

At the time of the last post I had essentially squared off against the universe and threw out a challenge. Basically I said I wasn't going to take no more shit. In retort, the universe accepted my challenge and said, 'Oh you fendin' to raise up? Well then, take this!'

It turns out the universe packs some heavy shit when 'This' is thrown out. When I look at my life from a distance, I can easily say that my life isn't that bad. There is always someone that has it worse that you do. It gives perspective.

It reminds me of one of the monologues from the classic movie 'Goodfellas.' Pardon me for not providing the full reference, but fans of the movie should recognize the words once they read them:
"Business bad? Fuck you, pay me. Had a fire? Fuck you, pay me."

"The place got hit by lightning? Fuck you, pay me."

The universe in all of its vastness, does not give a shit about you and what happens to you here therein. It boils down to one little cliche, life is what you make it. I think I am going to make a wonderful batch of spicy Italian sausage and green peppers but only because I don't know how to make General Tsao's chicken.

Let me back track for one second for I think I may have misspoken. Is it the correct phrase to say someone or something 'does not give a shit'? The reason I ask is because I am a little confused. Perhaps some of you loyal fans could help me out in understanding this bit of vernacular. Listed below are some phrases that I have heard in the past and my thinking is that they all essentially mean the same thing.
"I don't give a shit..."
"I could give a shit..."
"I couldn't give a shit..."
"I couldn't give two shits..."
"I could give two shits..."
Usually these phrases are generally, but not always, followed by what the person either doesn't, could, or couldn't give a shit about. For example, in referring to who your favorite sports team signed as a free agent I might say 'I don't give a shit if the Yankees signed (insert a popular overpaid professional baseball player's name here), I still hate baseball.'
What is with the shit giving or not giving? Seriously folks, will someone help me out here? Is it generally a positive thing to say you could give a shit? Would one be really faining interest if they could or couldn't give not one but two shits? Help me out folks, I need some help on this one. Feel free to comment away.

Trying to figure this shit out,
42

2 comments:

starryeyed said...

I give two shits.

JrWorthy said...

Why, thank you.